Friday, March 30, 2007

A typical conversation

Big life changing decisions should always be given the appropriate due diligence to ensure that the path you are choosing is one you really want to go down. While you have said over these many months that you look forward to starting a life outside the United States, when it comes down to actually making the decision it is not easy. Conditions surrounding family and health always play a role in the “what should I do next” stage of life. On that note, here are some things we discussed this afternoon:

At this time, do NOT go back to Job Potential #1 concerning the base salary. Go through with your interviews with Job Potential #2 and inform them that you have an offer on the table which you are considering and need to know the exact nature of the work they are considering you for and a time frame of making a decision. Once you have definitive information from Job Potential #2, you will be able to better assess the offer with Job Potential #1. If the Job Potential #2 offer is not forth coming or the offer is only for short-term assignments, then now will be the time to approach Job Potential #1 with a counteroffer to the base salary. Perhaps you should list out things you consider to be a “standard” benefit if you were working in the US and ensure that you consider these items when you are negotiating your base compensation and benefits. If Job Potential #2 makes you an offer or is in a position to turn around an offer quickly, you will then have to weigh the offer against the one from Job Potential #1. It is very important that you get as much information regarding the entire package with Job Potential #2 (location, housing, health insurance, trips to the US, how they pay, if moving expenses are covered, etc.). I assume that since this company operates in an atmosphere that you are more familiar with then the compensation/benefits package will be something that will be somewhat standard. If you now have an offer from both Job Potential #1 and Job Potential #2, you will now be a position to evaluate the pros and cons of each offer. SWOT – strengths (what will you be able to offer); weaknesses (what will you be able to learn); opportunities (what will you be able to take advantage of); threats (what will prevent you from taking this job) might be a good way to analyze. Your analysis would be along the lines of which will offer you the most advantages/opportunities – financial & progressive advancement in the shortest amount of time; which will have the least amount of lifestyle change for you and your family; what are the key stresses of each position; how will each allow you to be the entrepreneur or at a minimum operate in an entrepreneur like atmosphere; how will you be able to continue to take care of your obligations in the US; and how will you handle being “alone”. Remember that while there may be “western-style” culture you are still an American living in a very different country and environment.

BFNM, I hope this helps. As always, you know you can call, ping or email any time. I may have only one eye open to type back a response or only one ear working if you call, but no matter I will awaken and respond. Always, Two Roads


What's Cookin'? said...

So did I miss it? Where was your adventure?

Two Roads said...

I'm the safety pillow BFNM lands on when he's overwhelmed. It is not my time to go on adventure with him.

Thanks for stopping by.