Saturday, September 09, 2006

Drama

Drama is life with the dull bits cut out. - Alfred Hitchcock
The most wasted of all days is one without laughter. - e.e. cummings

The two quotes above definitely describe my 7 year old niece. Her nickname, since she was 6 months old, is Queen. She skipped the little princess stage of life. Since she was 4 she rolls her eyes and does the "talk,talk,talk" motion with her fingers whenever Grandma (my mother) starts going into 20 question mode. You know the questions from the probing Grandma - what did you do today? what did you eat for dinner? did you have a good day at school?, etc. She wanted a palm pilot for her birthday because she needed a place to keep all her phone numbers. (I got her the old version kind where she has to write all the information on the separate pages.) She calls me at least once a week to find out when she is going to spend the night at my house.

My niece's current drama is housekeeping. My sister hates the word maid. Besides, housekeeping consists of 2 other neighbors (who hate cleaning their house as much as anyone else) along with my sister that have decided to help each other keep their houses clean. It's true - it is so much easier to clean when others are helping than to do it all yourself.

Well, housekeeping visited last week and my niece pitched a fit.

What did housekeeping do to my room?
Why did housekeeping move the bookshelves around?
Where are all my books?
Where are all my stuffed animals? (Note: My niece sleeps with no less than 50 stuffed animals, dolls, or beanie babies in her twin bed - and geez I'm complaining about 2 dogs!)
What did housekeeping do to my office? (Note: There is a small room adjacent to my niece's room that is setup to look like a school room but my niece likes to call it "her office".)
I don't like housekeeping. I can't find any of my stuff. I don't want housekeeping to come back? I will do housekeeping. Where is the list that housekeeping used? Just give me the list and I will do everything. Tell housekeeping they are fired!

This conversation went on for 30 minutes. Housekeeping will be back - because my sister LOVES housekeeping.

Tags: , , Family


No comments: